One of the best things about Springtime is that with a slight chill in the air, we can still enjoy some hearty delicious soups! One of our favorites, that's great for people of all ages, is lentil soup! This delicious heart warming soup is also nutritious and easy to make! Packed with protein and veggies, this vegan/vegetarian option is sure to please!
· 2 cups red lentils
· 1/4 cup white rice
· 1 small onion, diced
· 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
· 2 Tbsp olive oil
· 1/2 tsp cumin
· Salt & Pepper, to taste
· 1 Tbsp dry or fresh parsley chopped fine
· 1 - 2 lemons, juiced
1. Clean lentils by checking thoroughly for any stones, dry skin, and dirt. Wash in cold water, and set aside.
2. Rinse and submerge rice in warm water, and set aside in a small basin with hot water (this helps the rice cook faster).
3. Chop the onion and carrot in small pieces
4. Heat a large pot on high and fry the onions and carrots in olive oil, until light in colour. Rinse and drain Lentils and add them in the pot and sauté for a minute, util lentils appear to be coated with the remaining olive oil
5. Pour water half way in the pot, enough to cover the lentil mixture, and let cook on high until boiling. Stir and check that it won’t overflow or stick to the bottom. Then lower heat to medium adding water when necessary. * Soup is not to be too thick*
6. Once Lentils are soft and melted, drain the rice and add to the soup; still adding water when necessary.
7. Add Parsley, Cumin, half the lemon juice, Salt and Pepper.
8. Once the rice is soft, the soup is ready for serving.
9. Enjoy this soup as a main dish/or side dish. Sprinkle remaining lemon juice on each serving.
**Variation - You may substitute small pasta (like shells or elbows) for the rice. You may also add any leftover diced and cooked ham, diced potatoes, and celery for a heartier meal.
#lentilsoup #lentils #soup #vegan #food #healthyfood #vegetarian #veganfood #veganrecipes #plantbased #seniorcare #dementia #yummy #alzheimers #homecooking #ottawahomecare #lunch #lentil #nursinghome #mealassistance #homemade #healthy #cooking #ottawa #recipe #bhfyp