Walnuts are one of the oldest plant-based food items known in humankind. They also have the highest amount of antioxidants that may protect you against cancer and other diseases. In fact, there are a number of health benefits associated with common nuts.
1. Brain Health - regular consumption of walnuts in your diet may help with cognitive function, including memory and focus. This, in turn, may help protect against Alzheimer's and dementia.
2. Immune Function - Walnuts provide healthy fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals which may boost your immune system and support your overall health.
3. Gut Health - Eating walnuts not only nourish you but also may aid in efficiently digesting foods by nourishing the good bacteria in your gut. This promotes the health of your gut and may help reduce disease risk.
4. Reduce Inflammation - Walnuts are packed with Omega-3 fats that may help with reducing inflammation, the root of many diseases, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and cancer.
5. Heart Health - As an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts may help to reduce "bad" LDL cholesterol while raising the "good" HDL which may lead to a healthier heart. Walnuts may also help to lower blood pressure and manage Type 2 diabetes.
With all of these health benefits, why not start adding walnuts to your regular daily diet!?
Walnuts are so versatile and can be used in a number of recipes, from salads to desserts! Have them as a snack on their own or missed with yogurt and berries. Or try them in this delicious, refreshing salad!
Maple Waldorf Salad
Makes 1 serving
3 Ounces Chicken (baked/roasted + diced)
1 Cup Mixed Greens
1 Medium Red Apple (diced)
2 Tablespoons Green Yogurt (plain)
1 Teaspoon Maple Syrup
1⁄4 Cup Grapes (halved)
2 teaspoons Coconut Sugar
1⁄2 Ounce Walnuts
Sea Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 450*. Place chicken in an oven-safe glass plate and bake until no longer pink in the center. Remove and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, dice chicken into 1”-2” cubes.
Chop apples, adding them to the chicken.
Halve grapes and add along with walnuts.
Lastly, in a small bowl, mix in yogurt, coconut sugar, maple syrup and salt.
Pour yogurt over the mixture and stir in.
Servicing the Ottawa Community since 1998. We are now accepting Franchise Applications for territories across Canada.
#walnuts #recipe #seniorcare #seniorliving #healthcare #ottawahomecare #elderlycare #assistedliving #caregiving #homehealthcare #dementia #eldercare #elderly #alzheimers #parkinsons #health #mealassistance #homecare #ottnews #senior #dementiacare #Ottawa #ottawaretirement #retirement #ottcity #LHIN #Canadianfranchise